Why I Love Eurovision


There are many reasons why I love Eurovision. It brings a bit of every contesting country through music and either sent or contestant that won the local competition.
Each year we have three things to hear from each country, it depends and it can be:
• current situation at country through metaphor lyrics,
• message to the host country from the visiting country through metaphor lyrics,
• message to a certain country through metaphor lyrics from a singer or singer group presenting a certain important figure of the country.

Most countries today use English language for their official presentation and even sing using this language for people to understand the lyrics but there is always something either lost or changed in translation.
It is why it's understandable why many artists even make music videos using English language as that is the language most use for better understanding.


Even with many artists at each country only few are regular at each country regularly attending either through their performance or involvement.
Artists at Serbia present current issues at Serbia and people involved through metaphor lyrics and performance.

National broadcaster Radio Television Serbia usually has Beovision (Belgrade) competition prior the choice of an representative but it went couple of times with a composer and artists of his choice to choose from.
It never had an artist with the artist having several songs to choose from for the song contest.
Serbia won the competition in 2007. having Marija Šerifović and Beauty Queens group as back vocals at Helsinki, Finland.
Winning song 'Prayer' got a different translation using English language, and was changed into 'Destiny', telling a broken hearted story of a girl.



'Prayer'

I can't even close my eyes,
Empty bed is chasing dreams away,
Life is melting,
Disappearing quickly in clape of a hand.

It's as I am loosing my sense,
Not noticing reality,
I am still kissing you,
I still blindly believe you.

As crazy I don't know where to go,
I am afraid of new love,
And days as opened wounds,
Not counting anymore.

Prayer, as ember on my lips,
Prayer, instead of any words just your name,
Heavens know as I,
That your name is my only prayer.

But to God I can not,
Tell any lies while I pray,
And I lie if say,
I do not love you.

Next year's Beovision had 'Zavet' (Vow) song of theirs as the sequel to the 'Prayer' but Jelena Tomašević manage to win 2008. Beovision making her contestant the year region Kosovo declared it's independence.
While Beauty Queens continued the broken hearted story into 'Vow' meaning everlasting love Jelena Tomašević won the competition with her own sequel 'Oro' (Montenegro dance) about wondering through song why the break up happened telling everyone not to salt the wounds after break up anymore metaphorically after Montenegro declared it's independence in 2006. from Yugoslavia.
Almost each Beovision since had the same topic for singers to sing about - a broken hearted girl in love.
Eurovision 2008. Serbia
'Montenegro Dance'

Who is caressing endearingly mine?
Who is kissing those dreamingly lips,
Don't forget my name,
When she starts kissing you,
Grains of mine do not sleep,
You can kiss him, leave me to sleep.

Do not break my ice, it has no water,
Do not salt my wounds, there are no tears
Whoever is dancing at my spot
Let her not dance for the two of us,
Grains put me to sleep.


(children lullaby)
Nuna nei
Nuna nuna nuna nuna nuna nei
Nuna nei

Wake me up on Vidovday
(Vidovday, battle lost between Serbs and Turks in 1389.)
Just to have one more look at him.


Beauty Queens
'Vow'

As gild on grey,
Last drop on thirsty lips,
Ray of light above heavy clouds,
You are standing there in the middle of my distress.

So far and without words I don't know if I can
Call you my own.

My white dow, as love holy
Love is, dow, name of your flight.

If they drew us apart 
Do not put up white flags
Have faith
That you are always to stay with me
As ember in ashes.

Long time ago it was
Two souls as one became,
Now you are far away and without words I don't know if I can,
Call you my own.


My white dow, as love holy
Love is, dow, name of your flight.

If they drew us apart 
Do not put up white flags
Have faith
That you are always to stay with me
As ember in ashes.


In the last few years Beovision modernized from national folk music to modern music Hurricane being just one of the singers and bands entering as possible contestants.

Serbia Eurovision contestants:
2007.
Marija Šerifović & Beauty Queens - 'Molitva' (Prayer)
2008.
Jelena Tomašević - 'Oro' (Montenegro Dance)
2009.
Marko Kon & Marko Nikolić - 'Cipela' (Shoe)
2010.
Milan Stanković - 'Ovo Je Balkan' - (This Is Balkan)
2011.
Nina - 'Čaroban' (Magical)
2012.
Željko Joksimović - 'Nije Ljubav Stvar' (Love Is Not Just A Thing)
2013.
Sara Jovanović, Nevena Božović and Mirna Radulović - 'Ljubav Je Svuda' (Love Is Everywhere)
2014.
No entry.
2015.
Bojana Stamenov - 'Beauty Never Lies'
2016.
Sanja Vučić - 'Goodbye' ~ 'Shelter'
2017.
Tijana Bogićević - 'In Too Deep'
2018.
Sanja Ilić & Balkanika - 'Nova Deca' (New Children)
2019.
Nevena Božović - 'Kruna' (Crown)
2020.
Hurricane - Hasta La Vista (Seeing You Again)
2021.
Hurricane - Loco Loco (Crazy)


I would love to see a male singer representing Serbia giving an answer to a few last songs as questions and demands at least at Beovision while representing current situation here at Serbia.


YouTube


This post is not sponsored in any way.



Comments