Wedding Ideas


I had my share of being a guest at weddings as these events are the most lovable events in most families and among friends.

With not having even boyfriend some would think it's funny of me making a general list of necessities needed for a wedding where I would be the bride but I am 35 years old and this is something girls plan in high school.

Doing the math of planning my own wedding based on other people's great ideas and huge mistakes I came up with only 19 people to have as my personal wedding guests.

My father's Slobodan younger brother Srećko's family, four of them, and my mother's Zora older sister Dragana's family, ten of them, & my mother's younger brother Milan's family, five of them.

If it was my younger brother Aleksandar planning his wedding day with his fiance he would need to think about just our generation having 115 relatives with their families from both of our grandparents sides of the family - Milosavljević & Pešić from my father's Slobodan side and Trbojević & Drageljević from my mother's Zora side of the family.

I have 14 my generation Milosavljević relatives and 16 my generation Pešić relatives.

I have 26 my generation Trbojević relatives and 56 my generation Drageljević relatives.


Serbian customs include many things still used by many which some people find it's funny while others love them for their own reasons.

The most popular one is 'selling the bride' if the Invitation card include that venue too besides the Church wedding venue, City Hall wedding venue and restaurant wedding venue after someone shoots with a rifle an apple hanging on a stick supported by the main gate at the bride's house.

Some people adore these customs others as me included don't.

The custom of the bride having something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue got well accepted at Serbian population as before the Groom's brother or first male cousin was to buy shoes to be given to the bride once she enters restaurant venue place.

Presents or wedding favors for each wedding guest.

Fortune cookies or small liquor bottles are quite popular at weddings as wedding favors for each guest.

As a wedding favor I plan postcards as gifts of different places at Serbia put in an envelopes with things to know and where to stay if guests decide to visit the place they randomly got in their envelopes.


Wedding menu.

Previously served plates as antre, vegetable beef stew as main dish, slices of pork and lamb afterwards before the cake arrives in five flavors.

Lemon, Cappuccino, Fruit, Spanish Wind, Capri are to be the cake choices.


Wedding venue.

At Serbia there are specially built buildings meant for weddings and similar occasions such as 18th birthday celebrations. Only few choose to have their celebration at restaurants or hotels and even fewer choose special venues as botanical gardens, public buildings emptied for the occasion or similar.


Presents for Bride's family.

When I thought of bride's maids I got the idea for my personal guests to have matching clothing or similar ones.

Decided to sew the long one color dresses, blue for my mother Zora, red for my aunt Dragana, green for my aunt Ljiljana and bright yellow for my aunt Zorica using beautiful printed lace material the same as  I plan my own A line wedding dress just in white colour using this same material.

One thing you should think about of not forgetting to get for the wedding day are decent flats unless finding perfect and comfy heel shoes.



Plan one color strip dresses with cover tunics for my three cousins Ankica, Dragana and Milana and another one for my cousin's wife Milica.





As it comes to men in my close families each is to get a beautiful bow tie matching with their suit.


Wedding dress.

I plan a A line simple dress nothing fluffy or with lots of bling with so many beautiful ball gowns or mermaid designs to choose from with printed lace design.


Wedding bouquet


As it comes to wedding bouquet I plan peonies with roses of bright white as my own meant to be thrown away to the lucky catcher and another one with red roses meant for the photo taking.


Flower girls accessories.

I have three of my cousin's children girls as flower girls with similar dresses to sew and baskets to buy for flower bracelets for women and girls and boutonnieres for men and boys.

So that comes to a number of 11 dresses to be sewed instead of having a bachelorette party just before the wedding as I have no friends to invite.


Presents for Groom's family.

As I don't have a Groom it's difficult to think about what would be a perfect gift for my in-laws and for each of my future husband's sister or brother.

It's even more difficult if Groom happens to be a foreigner to Serbian customs and traditions but thankfully it would mean having a engagement lunch with my side of the family as of that without some of the interesting customs we have.

Presents for Godfather's family.

People usually buy home decorations or things as bed covers or blankets as presents for the Godfather family usually being witnesses too at City Hall and at church.

In the old ages Godfather family was just responsible for wellbeing of children born in the marriage as the parents as why there is still an old custom of Godparents choosing the children's names.

Present for 'Stari Svat'.

Honored place at each wedding goes to 'Stari Svat' having a recognizable fluffy colorful hat wearing it during the wedding.


Stari Svat is the Groom's uncle who has the same role as the Godfather to be a witness at the wedding and to be responsible for children born during marriage.

Colours of the hat are different as the shape of the hat.


What is your favorite custom during each wedding?




* This post is not sponsored in any way.


Comments